Friday, January 9, 2015

What I wish my mother knew about my ADHD while I was growing up

I didn't find out about my own ADHD until I was in early adulthood, and it wasn't until years later (after a tremendous amount of research, academic training, and ADHD coach training) that I truly understood my own ADHD.  Knowing what I know now, I can look back at how much my ADHD affected me in childhood.  I can also understand why I struggled in certain areas and why my poor mother would get so frustrated with me.  Here are a few things I wish my mother knew about my ADHD while I was growing up:

It wasn't intentional.  I did not intentionally leave my dishes in the sink or leave my chores half done.  I wasn't trying to make extra work for her.  I just got sidetracked by something more interesting.


It's not that I didn't want to clean my room, I couldn't.  Seriously, cleaning my room was impossible for me as a child.  I would walk in, maybe pick up a few things, and then get so overwhelmed that I shut down.  Either that or I would get distracted by a toy that I found and forget what I was doing.

I honestly didn’t remember.  Yes, my mother may have told me something 5 times, but I honestly didn’t remember her ever saying anything about it.  If my mind was wandering or focused on something else when she was talking to me, I didn’t even hear what she was saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment