Sunday, April 12, 2015

I Almost Gave Up!

There was a time, not too long ago, where I almost gave up.  The circumstances at the time made all of my hopes and dreams seem impossible, and I felt like I was destined for failure.  In short, I was in a funk.  It wasn’t until I received an email from another coach that I could finally break the cycle of rumination and hopelessness.  The email reminded me of how far I’ve come, and that if I could weather the storm in the past, I can make it through this too. 
So, why am I sharing this story? As many of us know, ADHD rarely travels alone.  Many ADHDers suffer from coexisting conditions, such as anxiety and depression.  The ADHD brain seeks stimulation, and let’s face it, doom and gloom fantasies and hypothetical situations are stimulating.  It’s a lot easier to get caught up in negative thinking patterns and worst-case scenarios than it is to remain positive.  To make matters worse, we quickly forget our successes and how we’ve managed to overcome obstacles in the past.  Mix in a little overwhelm, and ADHDers can become paralyzed. 
Breaking the Cycle
It is possible to break the cycle! I can’t say that it’s always easy, but we have to find ways to interrupt negative thought patterns.  We have to remind ourselves of successes, and how we’ve overcome obstacles in the past.  My favorite reminders are success journals and motivational playlists.  People who are more visual may prefer post-it note reminders or pictures and posters that stir up positive energy. 
Know Yourself
Before you can create successful strategies to keep you positive and moving forward, you have to know yourself.  What triggers your funks, rumination, and negative thought patterns? What does it look and feel like as these thoughts and emotions run their course? How have you dealt with things in the past? What works? What doesn’t? What is the best way to interrupt negative thought patterns?
To find out how coaching can help you get to know yourself, overcome obstacles, and interrupt negative thought patterns, click here to schedule a complimentary consultation.     


No comments:

Post a Comment